Thank you for joining me for our Annual Meeting in Bournemouth.
Delivered in conjunction with our Scandinavian colleagues, I sincerely hope you found the meeting educational, challenging and enjoyable in equal measure. The social evening on July 4th was great fun… and we all learned a new skill! Bournemouth was an excellent venue to host a large meeting with opportunities to network on a grand scale. Our international colleagues provided a different viewpoint on many topics that I hope stimulated active and constructive debate and learning. Lectures, symposia and panel discussions included a number of international experts.
Highlights of the meeting include:
- Obesity surgery
- Emergency surgery
- Anastomotic leak
- Plenary Schwartz round
- Pelvic floor day (to include rectal prolapse and anal reconstruction)
- Transanal TME
- Inflammatory bowel disease debate
- Research – hot topics and breaking trials
- Medicolegal problems for surgeons
- Patient involvement in research
- New sessions on “so you think you know about radiology, pathology and oncology”
- Advanced and complex cancer
- Lars Pahlman, Lecture – Professor Soren Laurberg
- Colorectal Disease Lecture – Mr. Thomas Pinkney
- BDRF Lecture – Professor Ismail Gögenur
- BJS lecture – Mr. Brendan Moran
- Abdominal wall reconstruction – Mr. Hugh Gallagher
- Sacral Nerve Stimulation – is it all in the brain? – Mr. Peter Christiansen
Satellite symposia include: parastomal hernia, robotic assisted surgery, ‘surgery in the eye of the storm’, high resolution anoscopy, precision surgery and minimizing complications.
Other attractions include: BJS prize paper, Welcome Reception at BIC, Discounts for nurses, Constant Coffee!
The meeting attracted 24 CME points
The Colorectal challenge quiz on Monday 3rd was damaging to several reputations, as promised!
Our membership continues to grow annually and we currently have record levels of membership. As ever, I hope you found that our meeting presented a fantastic opportunity to meet colleagues old and new, and to make and refresh friendships.
Thank you again for attending the Annual Meeting in Bournemouth,
With all best wishes
Mr. Peter Dawson MS FRCS